Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Feelin' Feminine Challenge: Day-2

Today was a fantastic day! There's just a hint of breeze drifting through the air, dancing with the tree leaves. Sun is smiling brightly, amidst warm, hazy clouds, and bright blue sky, and the grass is so soft, incredibly lush and flowers are blooming beautifully.

Today's attire, and my no-longer-baby-sister in the background:)

Every time I wear my hair up like this, people ask me how I "did it"
as if putting it up in this fashion is some marvelous wonder.
Frankly, it's rather easy:
French braid your hair upsidown (starting at the nap of your neck
and working your way up to your crown)
Then twist in a bun, and
Voila!

If you want some hair to curl in the back (hanging from the right side of my head)
You need to only twist part of your hair in a bun,
put a scrunchy in it,
secure the bun with bobby-pins
(or a pin of some sort that secures your hair tightly)
and curl the danglingtresses.

I did wear shoes- plain ol' brown leather sandals,
very cute sandals, but very loved... and worn :)
Hairstyle inspired by Miss. Elizabet Bennett from Pride and Prejudice
(A&E version)
Today was rather a full day. I spent most of the day working out logic problems for school, discussing with my parents today's schedule, and locating the Latina Christiana (which I have almost completed... maybe I can even start working on Henley Latin this Summer :).
This afternoon consisted of a couple errands - the post office and our local foods store, nothing of interest I must say. It was a rather dull run into town (a total of one mile to our small village of one-thousand people... the closest to civilization as we get during the week, except for Tuesdays and Sundays... and before long, just Sundays... But it is a nice town, nothing shabby about it!)
Skepticism was very prominent within me when I first read a couple of peers' blogs stating "people treated me differently when I wore my skirt... with more courtesy..." However, I was delightedly surprised when the lady at the post office was so friendly, and sufficient in making sure every little microscopic detail was in order before I paid a single penny - this is partially to do with the culture of our small town, but I also think it delighted her to her toes to see a young person wearing a skirt... and looking nice on a typical day.
As I think about it, probably everyone dressed nicely on outings, even to our small town, when the post-office lady was growing up. She probably grew up in the post-world war II era, when dresses and skirts were still "the fad" and jeans and pants were just beginning to invade our rather dignified and civilized culture. My great-grandmother (a WWII veteran in her own right) wears a navy blue skirt, hoes, and pumps which she keep in spectacular condition, which she has kept with her since, I'm sure, world war two.
The more I think about it, the more I am convinced - we may have won a war, but we lost a great piece of our culture in WWII. The woman started to masculinize themselves, and "the men were in a hurry to catch up with the life they missed at war" (quote from The Walton's, episode nine or ten).
Quite frankly, I did feel like I had just walked out of a post card from one of the Great World Wars. It was like being stuck in the twilight zone, as everyone watched the strange young woman, in her skirt and curled hair; as elderly men smiled, and became young again as they were reminded of a time and age when woman were proudly feminine and a man was thought improper and rude when he didn't open the door for a lady... At time in which men were proud of being men, and woman wore with courage their badge as "ezer" - not only in the home, but as in my great-grandmothers case, worked hard as a mechanic while her male-friends and loved one's fought over-seas... I have become homesick for a time and place which I have never lived, never experienced, never even seen for myself... only heard about in intricately woven tales told by my great-grandmother, and in my grandfathers telling of the Great Depression...
I have felt, heard, seen, learned and been reminded of a great deal.
Yes ladies, we must take up action - remind ourselves we are woman, dress as ladies, bless the men, woman and children around us. Little girls gaze up in wonder when older girls wear skirts and dresses; elderly men smile and feel at home when there is a lady to open the door for; elderly woman must feel like they are back in their element - serving another woman who is proud to be feminine.
And our generation? Well, quite frankly, I'm sure there were a few who scoffed, some who tagged me as "strange," a "weirdo" and probably other things... but there were younger people who appreciated it. The cashier, who was about my age, appreciated it.
It has been a full, beautiful, creative and wonderful day!
Are you up for the Feelin' Feminine 7-Day Challenge?
Blessings in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
Miss. Elisabeth

No comments: