Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dear Student Body: My Week Summarized

The media has an incredible impact on today's young people... From fashion to philosophy, the media dictates the tone of voice in which all parties are to be heard.

For the Christian, this voice is one of the nagging and discontented hag (or wife. Apparently, the two are interchangeable).
Rarely are Christians heard in their tone of voice. Please note that I'm referring to true Christians, mind you, not those who label themselves as Christians, but whose lifestyle parallels that of the unsaved (I understand that there are Christians who are saved by grace, and walking their life out with the Lord - we are all at different stages in our walk, and your walk is between you and God, but what's on the inside will make itself known to those around you by what shows through on the outside)

The Christian:
We are human!
We mess up, make mistakes, hurt people just like every other human.
We are by no means perfect.
We never will be perfect - not until we have died and are reborn completely in Christ through His blood!
But, we can turn the other cheek and show kindness and compassion when others are mean and rude.
We do love out neighbors - just like you.

As a Christian:
*Please don't judge me because I choose not to throw myself into the midst of total strangers. I am more shy, and bit more private in personality than a lot of people, and I will be friendly, compassionate, caring, loving and very curious about you - I just might not show it with puppy enthusiasm upon meeting you.
* Please don't despise me because I'm not complaining to you about another student. Just because I don't complain to you doesn't mean I'm complaining about you. I do, however, believe that there is already enough negativity in the atmosphere, and the way to fight something is to come against it with it's opposite - positively encouraging and complimenting others.
* Please don't dislike me for the reason that my laugh is soft, my voice is quiet, and I don't talk as much. My personality is just a wee bit more quiet when I'm in a crowd of people. A kind word (and sometimes a quiet word, soft smile, or gentle whisper) turns away wrath.
*Please don't break my work tools because you dislike that I will always look you in the eye, smile and tell you "good morning," or "good afternoon," in acknowledged greeting when I first see you during the day. It's only that I believe it's important to build and maintain relationships.
*Please, please, don't gossip about me because I have complimented our instructor for her incredible fashion sense! I have complimented many a fellow student, and one compliment to an instructor, to three compliments to students is hardly being a suck-up :)
*Please don't detest my existence because I was home schooled. I actually did have home work, had a time I was to be up every morning, did school (curriculum), passed all state testing with flying colors, and had a principle - my father. (And no, I was not allowed to wear pajamas all day, had morning and weekend jobs, did do lab work in Science, had art teachers, even had an economics teacher, can carry a conversation with just about any person I meet and talk with them, non-stop for a good two hours, and the entire conversation be relatively interesting! Now, if this isn't socialized, I don't know what is :)

I don't mind if you want to disown me, and pretend like I'm non-existence - but if you do, please go all the day. Don't just disown me partially and starve me of any positive interaction. But if you must do this, restrain yourself from all negative interaction as well, and I'll content myself.
But, I have one word of warning, my fellow students: if you do pretend like I do not exist, or you continue treating me and the other three girls with disdain and ugliness, please know that I will continue to look you in the eye and tell you good morning and how lovely you look; I will still stay true to my quieter self and keep my laughter soft; I will continue to not complain either to, nor about you, to any other students, staff members or instructors (unless you do something to put me, another student, or yourself in harms way); I will still look before I leap, think before I act, contemplate before I speak, and observe the situation before I jump in.
And most importantly, I will always love you, and always do my best (though sometimes will fail) to treat you with dignity and honor (even when you fail to treat yourself thus)... Especially if you hate me.


---~~~~~~~~---


"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." Proverbs 12:25 NIV

"To be self controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands/ fathers, so that no one will malign the word of GOD." Titus 2:5

"Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you be? You ought to live holy and godly lives." 2Peter 3:11

"After an earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." 1Kings 19:12

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

"Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone." Proverbs 25:15

"Be completely humble and gentle; Be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2

"Instead it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in GOD's sight." 1Peter 3:4

"Therefore, my dear brother, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourself fully to the work of the LORD, because you know your labor in the LORD is not in vain." 1Corinthians 15:58

"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; stand strong." 1Corinthians 16:13

"Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." Ephesians 6:13

"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel." Philippians 1:27


Hosea 2:19; Mark 8:2; Deut 6:5; Deut 10:19; Deut 11:22; Is 55:3; 1John 3:18; 1john 4:12; Jude 1:2; Eze22:14; 1Corinth 4:12; 2Titus 2:3; Isa 61:3;

No comments: